The memorial started to be constructed in 1919 and was dedicated by the Reverend Alexander Cooney, vicar of Hardley and Loddon. The stone used in its construction is reputed to have come from the site of Langley Abbey.
The obelisk rises from a square plinth comprised of coursed, roughly dresses stone with inset ashlar panels carrying the inscriptions and names in incised lettering. Above each panel is a square, ashlar stone with motifs carved in relief. The whole surmounts a two-stepped base.
The main inscription is on the north-east face of the plinth and reads as follows: ERECTED/BY THEIR SORROWING COMRADES/IN ARMS AND GRATEFUL FELLOW/PARISHIONERS IN PROUD AND/LOVING MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN/WHO WENT OUT FROM LANGLEY/AND DIED FIGHTING FOR THEIR/KING, COUNTRY AND KIN/GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN/THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE/FOR HIS FRIENDS JOHN 15.13/1914 TO 1918
The names are recorded on the remaining three sides of the plinth, including their regiment, how or where they dies and the date.
The current chains and fence posts surrounding the memorial were added at a later date.
In 2016 the memorial received grant funding from the War Memorials Trust for its conservation and repair.